Paradise found?

As I write I sit on the second floor patio of the house we've rented for our Florida Keys vacation. I am, at this very moment, overlooking a small piece of what my mind's eye sees as paradise. The sun is shining, the birds are soaring and there is a slight breeze fluttering the leaves of the palm trees. This, to me, is heaven. I think about going home to cooler weather tomorrow, complete with the demands of life; school, work, obligations. I start to plan my next vacation. I need to have something to set my sights on right? Next time I will go somewhere where I am warm. It will have sand and an abundance of negative ions for my mood. It will, in all likelihood, be at "the beach".
I am not sad to go home though. I know this is part of the plan. Just as much a part of the plan as these vactions. Chances to recharge the batteries. They are vital to one's mental (and spiritual) health. We need vacations. Apart from the mandate to rest, God has wired into our beings the need to identify with something to look forward to. This is my heaven. Mine because He has given me this slice of His creation to enjoy now in anticipation of what His Heaven-the place He is preparing for me- is like. You may say...but I hate "the beach". Heaven better not be like that. I hate sand. I hate heat. I hate saltwater. That's Ok, because I don't particularly care for the smell of a lake. I don't ski or sled and I don't really care for museums. Your heaven and my heaven are likely going to be two different places. You and I are two different people. The same God however, made it all. AND He designed it for our use and for our enjoyment.
Whatever your heaven, you look forward to it don't you? You meticulously plan your time there and don't squander one minute. You optimize your opportunites (even if your objectives are to take naps in the sun and get a nice tan.) AND you start planning the next trip. The one where you will improve on the vacation. Vacations are often progressive each one topping out the last. That's what we can expect with Heaven. I think that we can expect the real Heaven to be so uniquely wonderful for each of us. The Ultimate Vacation! The best part of all will be that we get to see Jesus face to face.
I have spent some wonderful time this week with Him. I think that is one of the reasons I love vacations as much as I do. I have time. Time to enjoy what He has given me. Time to be thankful. Time to reflect on the blessings I have and the future I look forward to in Him. I wonder why I don't have this time at home? Well, distractions in life are the theme of Satan's story. Actually, come to think of it, I could have spent even more time with the Lord this week. But, no looking back...I like salt water but have no desire to become a pillar of salt. No, press on. Make that the plan for the next vacation and for the rest of this lifetime. Get to know the One who made all this possible for me. See what He'll have me do with these experiences. They have molded and shaped (as much as the trials) and I have a lesson to learn from all of this (and not just that Heaven is going to be wonderful!)

Oh Lord,
What will you have me learn? I see the beauty in Your creation. I desire to now know what You'll have me do for you in light of this experience. Thank you for refreshing me. Now, I am ready to act according to Your will. Walk with me and guide my path. Steer this boat of life that I am on through dangerous currents that threaten to swamp me. Shine on me as the sun that I can be warmed and not drained by the cold and send cool breezes to refresh me when I am overworked. Keep me focused on You that I might always have a lighthouse to keep me on course. Let the map You provide~Your Word~ reveal your will for this journey until I get to meet You face to face on that ultimate vacation. AMEN.

Comments

Popular Posts